Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Home test lab setup progress part 2

The other problem I ran into when setting up my Dell 2950 was mounting the other HDD's.  I have two 73Gb and three 146Gb HDDs, the two 73Gbs are set as RAID0 and used for OS.  The other three 146Gb drives, two are setup RAID1 where I will keep all of my VMs and the other 146Gb is where I'm going to keep my iso's.

I'm trying my hardest to not depend on the GUI.  So into the CLI I dive.  I finally figured out how to delete the partition on the drives, but still could not mount. Then I found the mkfs command.  Since I'm using the whole drive on both the RAID1 146's and the single 146, its easy to just make the whole disk a file system.  Made it ext4, but now I have to figure out how to make it mount everytime I reboot.  I'm currently having to mount it manually, but I know I have to edit the /etc/fstab.  That's what I'm going to try and figure out next is the /etc/fstab file.

Also have been setting up a Media Server on a older laptop.  Using LinuxMint as OS and Plex Media Server.  Plex is pretty cool and easy to setup, but again I'm running into NTFS speed bumps.  That's what I get for using Windows when I used to actually download movies and crap.  My problem with the Media Server is not that I can't mount the ntfs drives like in the CentOS.  The problem is that I can't edit the permissions.  For some reason in order for Plex to find the files, the files permissions for "Other" have to be set to read or read and write.  I figured out this was the problem because when I copied the movie files locally and changed the permission I was able to find and play them on the Plex server.  More NTFS speed bumps, but I just bought a 3TB external drives over the weekend.  I'm going to migrate everything to it from my current 1TB backup drive and format the 1TB to Ext4 and just put my music, movies in it for the Plex server and be done.  I was suggested to setup SAMBA, but I don't want to head down that road... yet.  We shall see what I come up with.

No comments:

Post a Comment