Friday, March 22, 2013

HomeLab Headaches Ep.6

Meh, not really any head headaches today.  I got the MediaServer up and running since Tuesday night, with all my files available I took a few days to reap the fruits of my labor and watched a few of the videos and\or shows I haven't watched in a while, specially on a TV.

I have setup a WINXP SP2 and a WIN7 VMs.  Tried to setup a OSX 10.6 and it didn't happen.  I tried three times and once on my work pc and it still gave me the same error, which confirmed that my iso is BAD. : ( booooo So now I have to get my hands on a good OSX iso.

I attended Rapid7's "Using Metasploit on Kali Linux, the Evolution of BackTrack" webinar today.  It was pretty cool, from what I saw Kali Linux looks bad ass and I have downloaded the x32, x64 and the VM versions.  The x32 is going on my netbook that is collecting dust in my room, the x64 is just to have it and the VM may find it's way into my Virtualbox.  Also Rapid7 has a "metasploitable vulnerable machine" which I have downloaded as well to check out later.

One thing I liked about Kali Linux if I remember this correctly is that all of it's services are OFF by default so  its as the old slogan on Backtrack used to say "the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear...", so Kali is quiet by default lol.  Also the big change is from Ubuntu to Debian base linux, there was something about stream line updates, but I can't remember exactly what it was.

Next thing on the Home Lab is getting the network together.  Gotta bring out my Cisco bibles... i think they weight more then the router or the switch it self lol

No comments:

Post a Comment