Wednesday, March 13, 2013

HomeLab Headaches Ep.4

I'm just going to start calling my "Home test lab set-up progress part X" posts HomeLab Headaches lol

In tonight's episode, Virtualbox won't start.  It wouldn't start last night, so I just went to bed.  I thought maybe because my User account isn't a sudoer?  So I ran virtualbox in terminal as root and it opened Virtualbox BUT! I got an error

WARNING: The vboxdrv kernel module is not loaded. Either there is no module available for the current kernel (2.6.32-279.el6.x86_64) or it failed to load. Please recompile the kernel module and install it by

           sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup

         You will not be able to start VMs until this problem is fixed.
Qt WARNING: QGtkStyle was unable to detect the current GTK+ theme.
Qt WARNING: Qt: Session management error: None of the authentication protocols specified are supported

I tried the "/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup" as it suggested but it failed and told me to look into the log

Stopping VirtualBox kernel modules                         [  OK  ]
Recompiling VirtualBox kernel modules                      [FAILED]
  (Look at /var/log/vbox-install.log to find out what went wrong)

I look in the "/var/log/vbox-install.log" and I get this

Makefile:181: *** Error: unable to find the sources of your current Linux kernel. Specify KERN_DIR=<directory> and run Make again.  Stop.

 So I rediscovered one of the sites I used alot when settings up a few things in linux, if-not-true-then-false.com.  It has an article which covers installing Virtualbox on CentOS\RHEL\Fedora(See Source at the end of the post for link).  I already have EPEL installed, but I followed the instructions step by step anyways.  I gave in a did the "yum update" which updated me to CentOS 6.4. Before I rebooted I did "yum install binutils gcc make patch libgomp glibc-headers glibc-devel kernel-headers kernel-devel dkms" and this is I think what I missed or the GUI didn't do on it's own when I was tired and decided to depend on the GUI to install Virtualbox properly.

Lesson learned: Don't be a bitch and depend on the GUI to do it right.  Do it on the CLI and even if you fail you won't feel as bad as depending on the GUI. lol
After that was done I tried the "/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup" and it failed

Stopping VirtualBox kernel modules                         [  OK  ]
Uninstalling old VirtualBox DKMS kernel modulesError! There are no instances of module: vboxhost
4.2.8 located in the DKMS tree.
                                                           [  OK  ]
Trying to register the VirtualBox kernel modules using DKMS[FAILED]
Starting VirtualBox kernel modules                         [FAILED]

So I rebooted and tried again "/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup" and this time it worked

Stopping VirtualBox kernel modules                         [  OK  ]
Uninstalling old VirtualBox DKMS kernel modulesError! There are no instances of module: vboxhost
4.2.8 located in the DKMS tree.
                                                           [  OK  ]
Trying to register the VirtualBox kernel modules using DKMS[  OK  ]
Starting VirtualBox kernel modules                         [  OK  ]

As instructed by if-not-true-then-false.com I added my User account to the "vboxusers" group, "usermod -a -G vboxusers User"

Double clicked on Virtual Box and it ran, no errors... so far

SOURCE:  Install Virtualbox with yum on Fedora, Centos, RHEL

No comments:

Post a Comment