Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Home test lab setup progress part 3

Free RAM doesn't always work... that doesn't sound right for some reason, meh!

The RAM I got from work didn't work on the Dell 2950(Server#1), but it worked on my older server my Dell 850.  I don't know what I want to do with my 850 yet. No, no one can't have it.  

Figured out how to configure\edit the /etc/fstab so it auto-mounts my other drives

First I tried it on my own no knowledge just throw stuff at it and see what comes of it just by looking at what was in the fstab already. for some reason it had entries like this :

tmpfs      /dev/shm     tmpfs      defaults     0 0
devpts    /dev/pts      devpts     defaults     0 0
sysfs       /sys            sysfs        defaults     0 0
proc       /proc          proc        defaults     0 0

so I added

RnDm       /dev/sdb     ext4     defaults     0 0
RnDm2     /dev/sdc      ext4     defaults    0 0

Rebooted and it didn't work, so I found this post, How to add a new partition to the fstab file

OH! There's the formula, [Device] [Mount Point] [File System Type] [Options] [Dump] [Pass]

so then I changed the fstab to 

/dev/sdb     /RnDm       auto     defaults     0 0
/dev/sdc     /RnDm2     auto     defaults     0 0

Rebooted and BAM! they auto-mounted.  Actually it didn't the first time because I had made a mistake on the mount point but after fixing that it worked.

Now after all this I once again face NTFS permission road blocks in my CentOS server.  fuck it, copying iso's from external drive using cli.

Correction on yesterdays post, drive /dev/sdb which is one of the pair of 146Gb drives is setup as RAID0, not RAID1. This is so I can benefit the read\write performance, where I'm going to keep my VMs. The single 146Gb drive /dev/sdc is going to keep my isos.

No comments:

Post a Comment